Friday, June 10, 2011

VIOLETTE GRAY









(top: thrifted and cut, jeans: Forever 21 diy destroyed knees, boots: LoveD, necklace: Forever 21, ring: Aldo Accessories, nails: Rimmel "Deliciously Dark")

I had that necklace for years but never wore it because I always thought it was tacky. Then I tried it on this week and I like it now. I also never thought I'd wear that top because it felt weird on me. So I cut the neckline and rolled up the sleeves to make it wearable. I like it now! I bought those jeans for no more than $15 and as soon as I learned a new technique on how to destroy denim, I experimented on these jeans and I love them. Before I put on pants I was wearing a basic black skirt but changed because I felt hoochie. My eyeshadow is layered, charcoal on top of purple shadow and I lined my eyes with purple gel liner. I know there's a rule that you're not supposed to match your eye makeup with your outfit or whatever but I like how this looks and rules are meant to be broken anyway! When experimenting with color, I try to keep my makeup simple. I don't use too many colors at a time because I always end up looking like a cheap drag queen. I'm probably just being one of those people who THINKS they can't pull a look off but it's all in their head. I just don't like wearing colorful makeup. I'm more of a neutral girl. But that makes me less creative! Anyway, if you're reading and want a makeup tutorial on this look let me know :)
I get things from thrift stores every week. Thrifting is dirt cheap so it gives me the option to only wear things a few times and get creative with my clothing. I can cut, dye, and tie things up and not feel bad if I ruin something because it's all really cheap. The best part of thrifting is that it gives you an original style. Lots of people thrift because it's the cool thing to do nowadays but you never know what you'll find and everything is different so it's all original. I love it. I shop everywhere but sometimes I just don't want to look like I stepped straight out of a Forever 21 display window. I donate and get rid of clothes often because I barely have room in my closet and dresser for the clothes I have now and it just feels pointless to have a bunch of things I know I'll never wear again just for the sake of having them. Plus when you give things away, you put out positive energy into the universe. I learned that from reading Scar Tissue. But I obviously keep things I really love.
Speaking of things I love, this week I found a teal corduroy mini skirt, a SUPER cute chiffon dress, and a tye dye shirt with Bob Marley on it smoking a joint! I saw that shirt and I knew I had to get it and it was only 99 cents! It's a men's xl t-shirt so I'm trying to figure out how to wear or reconstruct it as a dress without ruining it.
As I've mentioned in a previous post, La Bomba Vintage in Long Beach has a huge pile sale every 3rd weekend of the month so I'm looking forward to that next weekend. I've never been so I'm hoping to find a bunch of cute cheap stuff.
While coming up with a name for this post, I googled "Violet Gray" and apparently that's the name of a Peanuts character. How ironic? But I like "Violette" better, spelled the French way. I'm not French by the way, but I love the language. And now I'm rambling...

No comments:

Post a Comment